Wednesday 14 April 2010

How to make Mama's chai

Chai is integral to Indian life, especially here in Laporiya, and from what I can work out, every cook has her (round here at least, it's usually a woman) own signature style of chai. Sanju, the office cook loves using lots of black pepper in her's, giving it a nice kick, whereas my new mum really goes all out for chini (sugar) leading to head rushes and gradual loss of teeth.

I've been here almost two weeks and still don't know how to make chai. In a bid for independance I asked Mama to show me the way. Remarkably she understood the word 'show' and was happy to abide.


Makes one cup
  1. Take a medium saucepan and add half a cup of water and half a cup of milk.
  2. Place on a medium to high heat and add 1 teaspoon of loose tea leaves.
  3. Add sugar to taste. Mama would probably have put three teaspoons, I went for one.
  4. Finely crush two dried cardoman pods in a pestel and mortar and add to the tea.
  5. Once the mixure has heated through and starts to boil up, pour through a seive into your cup and serve.
Chai gets develops a thin skin almost instantly. Don't panic, just use your finger to move the skin to one side of the cup and enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. I love the fact that one of your tags is "mama". I look forward to more in the mama section!!

    ReplyDelete